Love fountain pens? You'll like this blog devoted in full to collecting, repairing and enjoying these fabulous writing instruments. Waterman, Pelikan, Parker, Mont Blanc, Cross enthusiasts share their experience and knowledge about vintage and modern fountain pens.
Monday, February 04, 2008
Waterman has some entry level fountain pens, available at our local Staples for $50-70, so probably yours too, or other office supply store. I have a nice Platinum pen (brand name, not what it’s made of…) I got from Levenger for $60. This is my “everyday” pen. Sheaffer makes some cartridge-only fountain pens for under $30, if you just want to try one out and see how it goes for you.

Generally speaking, the more expensive pens have very artistic outsides, flexible and precisely-crafted nibs, and better-quality materials for the inner workings. As in all things, 1) you get what you pay for, and 2) each person has his/her preferences.

Fountain pens aside, just thinking about all the Bics in landfills everywhere makes me want to be able to use writing implements that are at least refillable. I’m moving toward this at my own desk.